2016 highlights and awards
- Waste to landfill halved
- Reduction in mains water use
- 2020 target reached for recycled asphalt planings in new asphalt
- Graduate training programme introduced
- Stakeholder engagement extended
- Top European restoration award success for Middleton Hall quarry
Areas for improvement
- Employee lost time injuries and quest for zero harm
- Delivery fleet utilisation and efficiency
- Energy use and CO2 emissions
- Dust emissions
- UEPG sustainable development awards – ‘best of the best’ award from the European aggregates trade association for restoration of the former Middleton Hall quarry on the Staffordshire/Warwickshire border.
- The Concrete Society – winner of the customer service category for supply to the Walthamstow Blockade project in London; runner-up in the same category for supply to the new Medway crossing in Kent.
- Mineral Products Association health and safety awards –runner-up in the worker involvement category for the collaborative partnership between contracting division and Dorset County Council
- Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents - gold award for contracting division for the 24th consecutive year and an order of distinction to recognise this achievement.
- Tip-ex/Tank-ex awards – winner of the tanker safety category for a range of improvements to the latest batch of cement bulk tankers.
- Fleet Operator Recognition Scheme – gold standard for the entire Hanson UK fleet.
- Considerate Constructors Scheme – national site bronze award for contracting division for the Dorset Highways partnership
- Essex mineral site awards – gold standard for Bulls Lodge and Birch quarries.